Sunday, April 8, 2012

Happy Easter!

Happy Easter from Ryder in his Easter Sunday (PICU) best!
Ryder is still on bipap this evening.  The ICU team and respiratory therapists wanted to try a new nasal canula O2 delivery system that could be used with his NAVA cathter in an effort to get the mask off his face (now starting to cause some redness and a couple small abrasions).  He seemed to like it a little better overall but the blood gas just wasn't cutting it.  His pH didn't drop quite as far down this time compared to the last check with the regular high flow nasal canula but it wasn't close enough to normal to leave him on...so...back to the mask again.

His blood pressure is up a little today but the rest of his vitals and labs looked fine.  He still can't have food in the belly on the mask ventilation but he is getting enough calories in the IV nutrition to theoretically be able to gain some weight so that's good too.

While the breathing progress is still moving painfully slow, we have been blessed with some awesome nurses ...despite the mask ventilation and arterial line and pacer wires, etc. etc. the last 2 nights I got to hold Ryder for an hour each night!!!  I have no words to describe the feeling of getting to cuddle my little warrior after an entire month.  In fact, it was a month to the date Friday night when Stacy asked how long it had been...April 6th...after having his Norwood surgery March 6th.  I actually think I answered her question "A [choke, tear, sniffle, cry] month."  Pathetic, I know, but who cares.  Last night Ryder and I were so cozy in our purple recliner we both fell asleep...I must have done that with Addy a hundred times but never came close to appreciating those moments so much...God is good...

Thank you so much for all of the continued prayers!  A very Happy Easter to everyone!!

2 comments:

  1. Yay for the nurses! I like their style! Prayers for lots and lots more snuggles with your little Easter bunny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I came across your blog through google. I am the mom of an infant with DS, a CHD, and sleep apena. We just started trying to use bipap this week and he is not tolerating the mask. Do you have any information about the cannula that you all used. I would like to inquire about the possibility of this for my son. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete