Monday, August 13, 2012

Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious

So, we have been watching a lot of Mary Poppins the last few weeks.  We originally kept Addy away from TV for a while (because you are supposed to) then kept her away from most toddler shows (because Yo Gabba Gabba is CREEPY).  Then we finally figured out the first kid "screen time" lesson - that if your 2-3 year-old can't sit through a 90 minute movie, TRAIN them to do this.  No joke.  In 90 minutes you fly a few states away, clean the house (enough) or just stare blankly into space.  You can even have them lay in an ICU room for a visit and stop poking the baby (as much). 

Anyway, we have moved on from Backyardigans DVDs to Tangled, to Toy story 1 and 3, Lady and the Tramp and now to "momma's movie" Mary Poppins.  I am not sure how I came to own it but if a 3 year-old is willing to give over possession of something in her house, I suppose you should just take it and be thankful, right?  Her favorite parts are when Mary Poppins sings Jane and Michael to sleep and the penguins dancing, obviously.  I'm not sure why it took me so long to figure out the extrordinary wisdom of Mary Poppins but she is just brilliant.  For example:

1) A spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down.  Yes!  When I want to convince Addy to do something she isn't keen on or just have nothing else to offer, I usually make cookies-- I just never realized why!  Last night we made coconut oatmeal cookies with dark chocolate chips.  I used real butter.  They were amazing.
2) In every job that must be done, there is an element of fun.  I know Addy gets this one.  She can spend an hour cleaning a table as long as you give her a spray bottle of anything and her own roll of paper towels.
3) Some people can't see past the end of their own nose.  That's a easy one, just profound.
4) Why do you always complicate things that are really quite simple.  This is a good one as life relates to our Ryder - because if you boil it down:  a) he can't stay here forever b) it won't always feel this bad and c) we don't really have any control over any of this
5) My favorite - Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious.  Something to say if you have nothing to say.

Our little princess starts preschool next week - Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious...
Addy's supercalifragilisticexpialidocious grin.
"Oh...Ryder got intubated again, I'm sorry" Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious.

"We are planning to leave him intubated, sedated and not feed him until surgery, we don't know when that will be yet.  Do you have any questions?" Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious???

"Oh, I heard...how do you feel about that?"  *&$#@%^ Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious!  Actually- you could say it backwards here (dociousaliexpilisticfragicalirepus) but I guess I would have to agree with Mary Poppins in her infinite wisdom - probably going a bit too far...

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment